Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ooops, Misunderstood?

I hope that I am being misunderstood by some of the readers of this blog. I would hate to think that anyone would be so naive to believe that because I support the right of people to engage in polygamy, that I am planning to do so myself. I support the right of people to jump out of airplanes, but I assure you, I have no intension of doing so myself.

Polygamy is the pivot around which something more significant to me turns. That is Patriarchy, a Biblical base for family relations that is as misunderstood as polygamy. These two fit together like a hand and glove.

My illustration about fathers learning to share moms was certainly misunderstood. No, babies do not feel jealousy immediately, but they develop it rather quickly. The little rascals display all the characteristics of a human being much sooner than our idealists would like to think. Yes, fathers do have to deal with the emotions of being left out of the mother/child bond. Some times they have to take steps to insure that mom doesn't forget who helped produce that sweet thing. Commentator, please don't get so bent out of shape, it makes me feel we have hit a nerve somewhere.

2 comments:

Disciple said...

A very good treatment of precisely this aspect of patriarchy is to be found in the book "Man and Woman in Biblical Law". It can be found here: http://www.newcovenantpatriarchy.com/

The Pastoral Princess said...

I just discovered your blog through "My 2 Wives", great work! I too am in a monogamous marriage, but I very much support the rights of polygamy and see the many benefits this type of arrangement can provide for families. If my husband were open to the idea, I would certainly entertain it.

I look forward to more posts!